WELCOME! BENVENUTI!

Jenne' Andrews is an American poet. She has three published chapbooks including the recent Blackbirds Dance in the Empire of Love, Finishing Line Press 2013.

A full-length collection, Reunion, Lynx House Press, was published in 1983; after a long hiatus to raise Golden Retrievers in Colorado, recent work has appeared in The Passionate Transitory, Belletrist Coterie, The Adirondack Review and Vox Populi, a journal of culture, politics and poetry published and edited by the august Michael Simms.

A bilingual collection of "Italiana," Bocca, Voce, Delirio, with translations by Lorenzo Luciani, will be released by Finishing Line at the end of 2016 and her latest collection, And Now, the Road, a finalist for the Autumn House prize in 2014, will be released by Salmon Poetry Ltd, Ireland, a highly regarded international house, Jessie Lendennie, Publisher, circa 2017.

Andrews holds the MFA in Creative Writing/Poetry from Colorado State University, is a literary fellow of the National Endowment for the Arts, and was full-time Poet in Residence for the St. Paul Schools from '74-78. She lived in St. Paul from 1971-78 during the first wave of the Twin Cities literary renaissance, and spent the summer of 1973 in Reggio Calabria, Italy.

The poet lives in northern Colorado's Poudre River Valley with her husband, fiction writer Jack Brooks; the couple has recently imported two British Golden Retrievers and expects a litter in June-- see the Ardorgold website for details. Contact: jenneandrews2010@gmail.com .

Saturday, December 31, 2011

New Poem for DVerse Open Link Night and Beyond....

Revision.


 
You

This memory or another, this brief picture
sunbeam on the shriveled and frosted leaf
a world of selves trying to remember the self
before the idea of self is lost –

    Time in the Rock,  Conrad Aiken

Something far beyond tenderness
like a feathered cloud caught

in the broom-stiff treetop
returns without invitation

so that remembering
like the rainfall, washes

over, under, through;
something you might call

amor, its semblance
appears in the shadowy doorway

of my heart.  I reach
for you, terrified when

I see the porcelain hands of 
the fractured clock

Wildly spinning;
I reach for half-lucid desire,

the memory of your mouth
moving and moving like the sunrise,

the kiss of the opening rose
over my skin.

Was that our moment, we two
star-crossed, afflicted, virulent

like two splinters born onward
in a cascade?

When I could not reclaim your touch
nor find your hand,

I swam on, a snowy egret 
plummeting through

cold starlight, unrepentant
and undone. 




xx
copyright Jenne' R. Andrews 2011

23 comments:

Claudia said...

much enjoyed the intense imagery.. the wildly spinning hands of the clock, the memories, the pain, the swimming through cold starlight into l’ anno nuovo..unrepentant, unredeemed...felt
wishing you a wonderful anno nuovo jenne

Semaphore said...

I am an eternal optimist, and I wished the poem could have ended with redemption... but still, it is a beautiful poem, and a beautiful voice.

For me, part of what made 2011 memorable would be discovering your poetry, new language and ideas and craftsmanship to enrich my own journey. And for this, I thank you.

May the New Year render to you new wonders to amaze, new friends to embrace, new worlds to discover.

Maureen said...

Your opening stanza, the sixth, and especially the last 6 lines contain such beautiful images. Also that wonderful sense of two who are "splinters born onward". Always so lyrical.

I'd love to see how someone might make this into a videopoem or set it to music.

Best to you in the new year, Jenne.

Brian Miller said...

lovely jenne...and a moment of fright at seeing those hands twirling so fast...i feel them at time...love the tender love you speak of...and great imagery...happy new year!

zongrik said...

the last two stanzas are just great imagery

jen revved said...

Thanks very much-- I promise I'll hitcha back later-- New Years-itis and letdown today, a few traumas in a row. This poem was inspired by listening to Andrea Boccelli croon a song and remembering making love to that album. I guess I'm not dead yet! Love to all and a Happy New Year! xxxj

Mark Kerstetter said...

I'm not surprised you picked out those beautiful lines by Aiken, but your poem - so surprising and delightful (that swimming sailing plummeting snowy egret!), even with its melancholy tones - is all you. You really are amazing. I second Semaphore: poetically, your work has been a high point of my year. All the best to you for 2012.

Mama Zen said...

Those last lines are amazing!

ayala said...

Lovely poem! Happy new year !

cj Schlottman said...

There are so many strong images in this piece, yet it evokes the ethereal.

"Something far beyond tenderness
like a feathered cloud caught
in the treetop
comes back..." -
"Moving and moving like the sunrise,
the kiss of the opening rose
over my skin." -
"hands of the clock wildly spinning" -
"two splinters born onwrd in a cascade?"

The sadness of the last stanza, though unwanted, is somewhat expected. I love this poem.

Brian Miller said...

thought i had read this...hope the new year is treating you well jenne...

Natasha Head said...

Was that your moment? I am left longing for happier endings awash in the gorgeous images your words have painted. Wonderful write! Hope you enjoyed a wonderful holiday season, and Happy OpenLinkNight!

ayala said...

Lovely, intense imagery!

Teresa said...

Very beautiful imagery. You create such vivid descriptions with your words.

jen revved said...

High praise from each of you, whose work I deeply admire! Love at the New Year-- J

Laurie Kolp said...

I love this, Jenne... such intense feeling of love lost and tender memories. This is but one of my favorites throughout:

I swam on, a snowy egret
plummeting

through cold starlight

flaubert said...

Truly gorgeous work, Jenne. I love your use of imagery. Thank you for taking the time to reach out to me. I appreciate it.

Pamela

manicddaily said...

Wonderful poem (as always). You have such a gift for imagery and pace, moment--epiphanies both for poet and reader. I especially like these lines:

the memory of your mouth
moving and moving like the sunrise,

the kiss of the opening rose
over my skin.

Claudia said...

hello again... enjoyed the re-read and this time it was like two splinters born onward
in a cascade.. what caught me most..

Mystic_Mom said...

Brava bella! Wonderfully wrought Jenne, I didn't know how much I missed your poetry until I started basking in it again!

Louise said...

Oh...this is beautiful! Wonderful imagery 'I swam on, a snowy egret plummeting through cold starlight' ...just gorgeous. I will be a regular visitor from now on. I'm not really sure where I've been....Mars perhaps?? Superb

Heaven said...

Beautiful post...and the last lines are my fav "unrepentant and undone" ~

Wishing you Happy New Year ~

Cheers ~

Andrew Kreider said...

Haunting and beautifully put.
I love this couplet:
the memory of your mouth
moving and moving like the sunrise.
Thanks!