WELCOME! BENVENUTI!

Jenne' Andrews is an American poet. She has three published chapbooks including the recent Blackbirds Dance in the Empire of Love, Finishing Line Press 2013.

A full-length collection, Reunion, Lynx House Press, was published in 1983; after a long hiatus to raise Golden Retrievers in Colorado, recent work has appeared in The Passionate Transitory, Belletrist Coterie, The Adirondack Review and Vox Populi, a journal of culture, politics and poetry published and edited by the august Michael Simms.

A bilingual collection of "Italiana," Bocca, Voce, Delirio, with translations by Lorenzo Luciani, will be released by Finishing Line at the end of 2016 and her latest collection, And Now, the Road, a finalist for the Autumn House prize in 2014, will be released by Salmon Poetry Ltd, Ireland, a highly regarded international house, Jessie Lendennie, Publisher, circa 2017.

Andrews holds the MFA in Creative Writing/Poetry from Colorado State University, is a literary fellow of the National Endowment for the Arts, and was full-time Poet in Residence for the St. Paul Schools from '74-78. She lived in St. Paul from 1971-78 during the first wave of the Twin Cities literary renaissance, and spent the summer of 1973 in Reggio Calabria, Italy.

The poet lives in northern Colorado's Poudre River Valley with her husband, fiction writer Jack Brooks; the couple has recently imported two British Golden Retrievers and expects a litter in June-- see the Ardorgold website for details. Contact: jenneandrews2010@gmail.com .

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

New Poem: Errata-- posting for DVerse Poets Open Link Night and Beyond...

this is the poem for 50th DVerse OLN-- thanks to Brian for fixing it up.  xj

Errata

I understand the kind of mistake
that led to the fire, seeing a plume of smoke
via a binocular sighting, pushing it back, saying

It can’t be that.  It must be someone
cooking on a griddle over mesquite
chips at dawn
up in the back country timber.

I have made the same kind of mistake
at night, nodding off in my chair
taking the extra Vicodin
I don’t need.  Just now I startled
awake, the remote flying from my hand;

I didn’t know who I was, the fan behind me
pulling in smoky air from the charring of the hills 
to the northwest.

I wanted to go home.  To the green acreage
on the edge of town, to hear
the comforting sound of the animals
breathing, to know that someone
I love was nearby, merely across the house.

But instead I lay in the dark alone
calming myself, running my tongue
over the pain and rot

in my mouth where I haven’t been able
to surrender to the excision
of my teeth, part and parcel of me;  mouthful
of porcelain what it costs, this nightly
opioid eucharist,

like saying there isn’t a fire
when it is evident:
an unattended smoldering plume
always becomes a conflagration.

Now, the wholesale absence
of the familiar, teeth gone,
years lost.  Aching for home
when home burns.

In the near hills-- not enough
time or water, but plentiful
tear stains on the libretto,
errata in the manuscript.


xx

Copyright Jenne' R. Andrews 2012  



8 comments:

manicddaily said...

Jenne, before I even read poem - you have the wrong link at dVerse - have old one. k.

aprille said...

Brave description of a terrible set of feelings.

You might want to test your link.

manicddaily said...

Jenne, very sad poem - the dental eucharist quite chilling - that sense of waking up and not knowing exactly where or how, not so much where you are, but how you got there, is universal (I hope/think) but still more than tinged with despair, smoke stained.

You got my note re link, I hope. k.

Lorna Cahall said...

So potent. What a fine poem.

Brian Miller said...

hey i fixed your link...you had your poetics linked in again...

i think sometimes we dont want to believe...or maybe we just want to believe everything is alright and deny something might be wrong...the tooth...the fire....they place well together in this jenne...

Mystic_Mom said...

Powerful words and images, and tastes and feelings here Jenne. Well done.

ayala said...

Powerful words and images, good write.

kolembo said...

Oh yes!
Marvellous!