WELCOME! BENVENUTI!

Jenne' Andrews is an American poet. She has three published chapbooks including the recent Blackbirds Dance in the Empire of Love, Finishing Line Press 2013.

A full-length collection, Reunion, Lynx House Press, was published in 1983; after a long hiatus to raise Golden Retrievers in Colorado, recent work has appeared in The Passionate Transitory, Belletrist Coterie, The Adirondack Review and Vox Populi, a journal of culture, politics and poetry published and edited by the august Michael Simms.

A bilingual collection of "Italiana," Bocca, Voce, Delirio, with translations by Lorenzo Luciani, will be released by Finishing Line at the end of 2016 and her latest collection, And Now, the Road, a finalist for the Autumn House prize in 2014, will be released by Salmon Poetry Ltd, Ireland, a highly regarded international house, Jessie Lendennie, Publisher, circa 2017.

Andrews holds the MFA in Creative Writing/Poetry from Colorado State University, is a literary fellow of the National Endowment for the Arts, and was full-time Poet in Residence for the St. Paul Schools from '74-78. She lived in St. Paul from 1971-78 during the first wave of the Twin Cities literary renaissance, and spent the summer of 1973 in Reggio Calabria, Italy.

The poet lives in northern Colorado's Poudre River Valley with her husband, fiction writer Jack Brooks; the couple has recently imported two British Golden Retrievers and expects a litter in June-- see the Ardorgold website for details. Contact: jenneandrews2010@gmail.com .

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Posted for One Shoot Sunday

Please do enjoy my Homage to Sylvia Plath posted below today's One Shoot Sunday/One Stop Poetry Challenge:  Here's my offering derived from the prompt;



Photo by Canadian photographer Sean McCormick...

Lamentation
Of the Abandoned Granary

How can I tell you
I was never a home for you
But a grain-house 
Now gone neon blue
From time's indifference
And prairie cold

I am so lonely here
I’ve set myself ablaze
My guts are a host of flaring embers
The chaff I held

Is scattered where wild mares browse
And plumps the rib-eye
From the thrashing sale-barn cow—

If anyone passes here now
It’s Faust’s ghost or geriatric members
Of the International Workers of the World

If anyone sings O Canada here
They do not sing for me

You come with your unschooled hands
To brace me up with creosoted timbers
to land-mark me for history's sake

You're too late:
Keep Out
I cry with my red mouth
Touch me and I’ll burn you down.



 copyright Jenne' R. Andrews
2011
All Rights Deserved...




10 comments:

hedgewitch said...

There is always something unexpected and piercing in your poems, jenne, and this one is no exception. You've painted a whole intact world on the canvas of the granary, which you truly make haunted with your words. Love that fourth stanza, and the imperative ending command/threat/warn-off especially.

dustus said...

Love the elements of personification, as well as elements of humor and cultural references. Written beautifully. Excellent creative take on the prompt. Enjoy the rest of your weekend :)

Fireblossom said...

I love that the Wobblies found their way into your poem! The last four lines are sriking. I feel like that myself, sometimes.

Fireblossom said...

striking, I meant.

Maureen said...

Can only echo hedgewitch. Really like how that first stanza slides into the second's initial lines; the lamentation finds its culmination in the "red mouth", all the images of fire so well sustained.

M.L. Gallagher said...

this is fabulous. You made me smile mid-read and then sigh in sorrow at the end.

"If anyone sings O Canada here
they do not sing for me."

Wow!

Louise G

Ami Mattison said...

Love the personification here, especially how the emotions flow--sadness, loneliness, abandonment, and anger. The juxtaposition between the 2nd and 3rd stanzas is so nice, and the warning at the end, its pain and anger, are palpable. Really fine writing, Jenne', as usual!

Penny said...

Intriguing.

Cheryl Snell said...

I liked how the stanzas sing to one another, startling and engaging us with both subject and poetic device.

jen revved said...

thanks everyone-- making my way from wondrous poem to wondrous poem-- see you wednesday or on she writes...xxxj