WELCOME! BENVENUTI!

Jenne' Andrews is an American poet. She has three published chapbooks including the recent Blackbirds Dance in the Empire of Love, Finishing Line Press 2013.

A full-length collection, Reunion, Lynx House Press, was published in 1983; after a long hiatus to raise Golden Retrievers in Colorado, recent work has appeared in The Passionate Transitory, Belletrist Coterie, The Adirondack Review and Vox Populi, a journal of culture, politics and poetry published and edited by the august Michael Simms.

A bilingual collection of "Italiana," Bocca, Voce, Delirio, with translations by Lorenzo Luciani, will be released by Finishing Line at the end of 2016 and her latest collection, And Now, the Road, a finalist for the Autumn House prize in 2014, will be released by Salmon Poetry Ltd, Ireland, a highly regarded international house, Jessie Lendennie, Publisher, circa 2017.

Andrews holds the MFA in Creative Writing/Poetry from Colorado State University, is a literary fellow of the National Endowment for the Arts, and was full-time Poet in Residence for the St. Paul Schools from '74-78. She lived in St. Paul from 1971-78 during the first wave of the Twin Cities literary renaissance, and spent the summer of 1973 in Reggio Calabria, Italy.

The poet lives in northern Colorado's Poudre River Valley with her husband, fiction writer Jack Brooks; the couple has recently imported two British Golden Retrievers and expects a litter in June-- see the Ardorgold website for details. Contact: jenneandrews2010@gmail.com .

Sunday, September 25, 2011

New Poem: Calling to Poseidon, a Rilke variation and Magpie....




 To read other Rilke "variations" posted here, which I've now collected into a chapbook manuscript The Garden Sings to Orpheus, use search box.  To participate in the lovely Tess Kincaid's Magpie Tales meme, link up there.  Her fine chapbook, Patina, is out from Finishing Line press. Thanks once again to Ruth and Lorenzo for posting the fascinating Rilke poems and prose excerpts at the web journal A Year with Rilke.


Calling to Poseidon

My blood is alive with many voices
telling me I am made of longing.

Rilke, My Own Deep Soul, Book of Hours

The body’s blood courses through
The heart
That babbling within
Is the voicing of the hot

Surging dark sap, the want
The outcry at dearth:

Of longing am I made
In longing I return.

And so I go to the closet
Then into the rain,
In my long black dress
My long black gloves.

I say storm
Batter me. I am a woman
Of blood and bone.  Drench me.
Renew my every passion.

It is as if I could part the waters
With the music of lack.
As if I could topple the mountain
With the force of my hunger.

And so I unleash my rage
At the roiling waters, their taunt
And failed promise—that I should
Be remade, not know myself

And the yearning incarnate I became.


 copyright Jenne' R. Andrews 2011


8 comments:

Tess Kincaid said...

To the closet...then the rain...I love that, Jenne. Beautiful write. And thank you so much for the mention, my friend.

Reflections said...

What it is about rain that makes us all dream of transformation of the self, purifying, purging darkness.

Jo Bryant said...

oh this really is fabulous - I loved every line

Maureen said...

Lovely and lyric ode. I, too, fixed on the beauty of the lines "And so I go to the closet / Then into the rain" -- really wonderful!

moondustwriter said...

Excellent Jenne
yes I feel the passion, the rage the foaming of the waters...

erin said...

and this is why we should never wish for satiation or fulfillment, but only move toward it. longing/passion is our motor. without it we stand still.

it is as if i could part the waters with the music of lack. jezuzgod, this is beautiful. we are hungry mouths, aren't we? thank god for motors, or we would be stone.

xo
erin

Mystic_Mom said...

Lovely Jenne, just lovely. I've felt like that standing in the rain, you've crafted something strong and lovely here.

Ann Grenier said...

"Of longing I am made...", clearly the message embodied in the picture of the woman. Your interpretation feels authentic and perfect with or without the prompt, which is something I have been paying more attention to in my own writing.Beautiful.