WELCOME! BENVENUTI!

Jenne' Andrews is an American poet. She has three published chapbooks including the recent Blackbirds Dance in the Empire of Love, Finishing Line Press 2013.

A full-length collection, Reunion, Lynx House Press, was published in 1983; after a long hiatus to raise Golden Retrievers in Colorado, recent work has appeared in The Passionate Transitory, Belletrist Coterie, The Adirondack Review and Vox Populi, a journal of culture, politics and poetry published and edited by the august Michael Simms.

A bilingual collection of "Italiana," Bocca, Voce, Delirio, with translations by Lorenzo Luciani, will be released by Finishing Line at the end of 2016 and her latest collection, And Now, the Road, a finalist for the Autumn House prize in 2014, will be released by Salmon Poetry Ltd, Ireland, a highly regarded international house, Jessie Lendennie, Publisher, circa 2017.

Andrews holds the MFA in Creative Writing/Poetry from Colorado State University, is a literary fellow of the National Endowment for the Arts, and was full-time Poet in Residence for the St. Paul Schools from '74-78. She lived in St. Paul from 1971-78 during the first wave of the Twin Cities literary renaissance, and spent the summer of 1973 in Reggio Calabria, Italy.

The poet lives in northern Colorado's Poudre River Valley with her husband, fiction writer Jack Brooks; the couple has recently imported two British Golden Retrievers and expects a litter in June-- see the Ardorgold website for details. Contact: jenneandrews2010@gmail.com .

Thursday, August 18, 2011

New Poem - Beautiful Ruin

Posted in part for Julie Watkin's/Carys' discussion of figurative language at D'Verse Poets Pub and of course, Friday Poetry Fest


Juliet, Bronze, Verona
 

Beautiful Ruin

In our first summer
I thought I should fit myself to you
Like your heirloom beveled spoon

In the good dark, the holy nave
Of our half-lit room
So many moths on the sill

The furor of their dust
Our fevered body-clench
Drowning eyes to eyes

In hunger
I bent to you like a green willow
Let you feast on me

Like warm rich bread from
A chateau oven,
And a future unrolled between us

A worked and dyed Persian carpet
Intricate, thick, comforting
Days braided into peacocks

And cornflowers
Indeed we died by inches
One into the other

Mortally vulnerable in our love.
Now it has come to pass
Twenty one years out from those days

That I drive away while you watch
From the porch, the moths frenzied
Above you in honeyed light

A flume of starlight over the redolent
Pasture.  I thought you were captain of my soul
The very rigging of the ship
 
Of my being
But in all of the years at sea
I have found I am mariner enough

To set my own half-trimmed sail for home, crossing
The bridge of yearning, green satin water
Unfurling beneath it, disentangling from you

Like the trumpet flowers from their vine
Losing a million and one blossoms
My leaves raining on the paving stones.



ccc
copyright Jenne' R. Andrews 2011  jenneandrews2010@gmail.com

14 comments:

Kim Nelson said...

Jenne'~
This is romantic and intoxicating. Your imagery carries the piece, inviting the reader to travel and enjoy.

Maureen said...

This is a fine example of what the dVerse post was all about - how images, well-constructed and associational carry meaning far beyond what cliched language can convey.

I like a lot the contrast between those two words in your title.

As always, your images work together beautifully to provide a lyrically heightened narrative. The experience is rich.

Samuel Peralta / Semaphore said...

Life has kept me away, so I haven't been here in a while. Coming back again today, it's like arriving from a desert to an oasis of your words - beautiful, beautiful, beautiful.

jen revved said...

Thanks to Maureen and Sam-- your words particularly meaningful and encouraging. love-- j

vivinfrance said...

I luxuriated in the passionate words of this poem, but kept worrying about the title. Was it the relationship that was a beautiful ruin? I do hope not - the expression of love in the earlier stanzas seemed utterly inviolate.

Thank you for your visit to my blog.

Victoria said...

Jenne, this is an amazing example of Julie's discussion. The metaphors, details you painted...it left me with a feeling of sadness mixed with hope and the undertanding that in the end we are alone and responsible for ourselves. Not sure if this is your intent, but, wow!

Sheila Moore said...

I was thinking the same thing regarding your intent as Victoria mentioned.

The way each stanza reflects a different metaphor is impressive especially since they flow well together but also could stand alone and shine!

I'll have to learn some pointers from you on how to develop this skill since most if not all of my poems carry the same metaphor throughout which is rather boring compared to doing it this way.

Thank you for your suggestions on my poem. Hope you have a good weekend.

Sharon Rose said...

I wish I cold have stayed in the first half of this serene time until the big change in direction when you drive away.

Zoe said...

I, too, love the different metaphors in this - they flow one from the other and add a richness to the imagery and therefore depth of the poem. How *do* you do it?!

moondustwriter said...

Jenne - I appreciate the beauty that lasts even as ruin eats away. Like the image there is discoloration and yet a memory...

ccchampagne said...

You were always strong enough (it's easier to see it from the outside, and I mean no offense), you (or the you in this poem) have just never known it before.... It'a beautiful description, but if you read it back to yourself I think you'll find many more stratas and levels to what you've described here.. Then again, what do I know? Beautiful!

Heaven said...

Your words flow... I was carried away by the images of love on a voyage.

The emotion I get from the last verses is one of sadness, drifting away from the love and beauty in the earlier verses.

Great example of metaphors working more to add depth to your tale ~

amyjosprague said...

Jenne, this is so chest-aching...you really brought to the fore the great loss that comes with such situations, even though so much was gained for a time. All those years, and such beauty in your lines. I so enjoy your writing. The part that got to me, I hurt in my chest, was the stanza:

"that I drive away while you watch
from the porch, the moths frenzied/
above you in honeyed light" --I was so there with you in that moment that must have froze, it really did in the poem. And then, the last stanza/lines "...losing a million and one blossoms" oh my oh my
beautiful, beautiful work
Amy Jo

jen revved said...

Thanks so much once more to each of you for your heartening responses. Isn't it great that we can each touch each other and inspire one another...xxxj