WELCOME! BENVENUTI!

Jenne' Andrews is an American poet. She has three published chapbooks including the recent Blackbirds Dance in the Empire of Love, Finishing Line Press 2013.

A full-length collection, Reunion, Lynx House Press, was published in 1983; after a long hiatus to raise Golden Retrievers in Colorado, recent work has appeared in The Passionate Transitory, Belletrist Coterie, The Adirondack Review and Vox Populi, a journal of culture, politics and poetry published and edited by the august Michael Simms.

A bilingual collection of "Italiana," Bocca, Voce, Delirio, with translations by Lorenzo Luciani, will be released by Finishing Line at the end of 2016 and her latest collection, And Now, the Road, a finalist for the Autumn House prize in 2014, will be released by Salmon Poetry Ltd, Ireland, a highly regarded international house, Jessie Lendennie, Publisher, circa 2017.

Andrews holds the MFA in Creative Writing/Poetry from Colorado State University, is a literary fellow of the National Endowment for the Arts, and was full-time Poet in Residence for the St. Paul Schools from '74-78. She lived in St. Paul from 1971-78 during the first wave of the Twin Cities literary renaissance, and spent the summer of 1973 in Reggio Calabria, Italy.

The poet lives in northern Colorado's Poudre River Valley with her husband, fiction writer Jack Brooks; the couple has recently imported two British Golden Retrievers and expects a litter in June-- see the Ardorgold website for details. Contact: jenneandrews2010@gmail.com .

Sunday, January 2, 2011

The Love Song of the Coney Island Mermaid

I wrote the first draft of this poem for the One Shoot Sunday photo challenge-- at One Stop-- be sure to read the interview and see Danielle Kelly's other astounding photos.  Ever since the character/persona of Fabulosa sprang into my mind and heart, I've been entertaining a few revisions.  Hence, the revised version of "The Love Song of the Coney Island Mermaid" for One Shot Wednesday-- Enjoy!

.


The Love Song of the Coney Island Mermaid  


(inspired by this photo by Danielle Kelly, Prufrock and Divina Is Divina by Jack Wiler.)

I hear the mermaids singing each to each...but I do not think they sing to me..."  Prufrock,  T.S. Eliot

Fabulosa goes to Coney because she/he is lonely
And it's a fine day to take the air along the sea
Or peddle an uncommon humanity

Fabulosa tilts her parasol, hidden behind the catastrophic
Confusion of her mammoth chiffon bow;
She is a sunburnt collision of then with now
Her tapered fingers tapping the cadence
She has forever heard
"I am man, woman, waxed Brazilian gaudy bird

Come here to reconnoiter in the throng
I do and don't belong
I know you understand;
Dance with me in summer's sand

Come closer; I'll whisper to you
Of the Bowery nights that drove me mad
So that I am now an objet d’arte, your Galahad
Even, my love,  your Guinevere
But in my New Year's lime chiffon 
Not austere

My home is neither land nor sea
I'm Trinidad's amphibious fait accompli
Moby Dick to your obsession
Let me stun you into my possession

Touch my neon fins
here and  there, and again. 
I never disappoint
I give you shock and awe-- 
I anoint:


Coney Island's a mermaid's town
We deep-six you until you drown
Lift this veil
To start the kiss and tell:
Submerge your weary heart
In my sea green Eliotian eyes.


Jenne' R. Andrews
Copyright January 2 2011






 *Trinidad:  sex-change capitol of U.S...


11 comments:

Maureen said...

Like what you did with all that gauze.

"I am man, woman, waxed Brazilian gaudy bird": great line.

Fireblossom said...

Get OUT. !!!!!

Great minds think alike, I guess, hmm?

I agree with Maureen, that line was exceptional. I also like the vernacular of "blow your mind" and "shock and awe" mixed in with the much different language of the rest.

My satire blog, which I deleted cos nobody seemed to get that it was a put-on, was called... wait for it...Objets D'art.

dustus said...

"And it's a fine day to take the air along the sea
Or peddle an uncommon humanity" those lines for me set a tone Eliot would have been proud of. "waxed Brazilian gaudy bird" was over-the-top! Great poetry.

hedgewitch said...

Most excellent. And a very nice ref to Prufrock. I love the androgenous Galahad/guinevere reconnoitering the throng and dancing in the sand. A tongue in cheek masterpiece.

signed...bkm said...

Very nice and really enjoyed the subtle rhyme and sound to the poem...the images you present are wonderful "a collision of then and now" great line..bkm

LeiffyV said...

Wow... shock and awe is right, never thought about the picture in this way but it does indeed shed some new light on it. Wonderful job with this offering, thanks for sharing!

Steve Isaak said...

Classic, sublime piece. Exemplary.

Pete Marshall said...

this was another amazing write for this wonderful picture prompt...loved the brazillian but pulling in Arthurian references really hits the spot for me..pete

lukepraterswordsalad said...

OK what's going on? Really intriguing m here... so many references - Galahad, Guinevere, Trinidad's techno daughter, Moby Dick, Coney, Fabulosa, Eliot.... beautifully-written, but amongst all of this I am swimming... intrigued. 'Eliotian eyes' is superb. The 'Trinidad's techno-daughter' felt very left-field, though I'm sure you have your reasons for it. I shall keep pondering...

Cheers

Luke @ WordSalad

Piccola said...

Come closer; I'll whisper to you
of the Bowery nights that drove me mad
So that I am now an objet d’arte, your Galahad
Even, my love, your Guinevere
But I am not austere

poignant piece!
-Piccola

jen revved said...

Thanks all-- I know it's quite over the top, so to speak; for my friends across "the pond"-- who may not know-- Trinidad is sex-change capital of U.S.... ah, well. xxxj